Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sometimes I get real.

Today, shit got real.

 I'm not always an asshole or a jokester. So here goes the story: I was reading Rants from MommyLand (click on the link and it will take you to the specific article I'm referring to) It's about 1st world problems.  I suggest you read that before continuing any further. I'll wait.
 Other people refer to it as "humble brags"  Here's an example....
"I bought a pair of Louboutin's but they don't match my Louis. *pouty face*"


Get the idea?

Ok, moving on. Today while getting groceries we had to wait in line. Me and the two kids. For a long time. Like, a REALLY long time. *side note- I feel really bad for people on welfare, or WIC or using EBT. Well I feel bad for many reasons, but one reason is for the pain in the ass at check-out. Something always goes wrong. Without fail. They're not trying to hold up the line*   So that was the case today. I was the 4th customer back. I was OK waiting though. There was nowhere else I needed to be, I wasn't late and I understand that shit happens.

My daughter, on the other hand, felt the need to express her dislike of waiting.
"WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG?!?! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT! MAKE THEM GO FAS....."
I yanked her close to me and said,
"Did you know, there are kids in this world that don't have food to eat? There are kids who are hungry, and don't get to eat breakfast, lunch, snacks or dinner. Not even dessert. There are kids that don't live near grocery stores. There are kids whose parents don't have money for food so they don't eat. We have money for food, you are not hungry, and it is OK to have to wait in line for our groceries. DO.YOU.UNDERSTAND.ME?"

Her eyes got big and she asked "There are kids that don't have food?!? But how do they eat?" I said "They don't. They get very, very sick, and some of them die."

She thought about it, and said "well can I still play while we're waiting?"

I was getting pissed at the people walking by that were saying "What's this shit about?" and just huffing and puffing about having to wait. If they weren't old people I would have said something.

When I got to the front of the line the cashier was flustered, obviously trying to make up for lost time. I told him "It's OK. Take a deep breath. I'm not in a hurry. At least I have money for food and the resources so close to home. I'll wait if I have to. It's OK."

The bagger looked at me and said "I wish more people thought like you"
"You and me both lady!" I couldn't help but reply back.

I looked back at the people in my line and said in a loud, clear voice "At least we have food. Even if we had to wait an extra 10 minutes to pay for it" and then I turned around and left.

8 comments:

  1. Actually I think you are always real. Sometimes you are funny and sometimes you are serious but you are always real. So thank you for today's blog and putting life into perspective for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Momma! :) I'd have done the same thing, though I probably wouldn't have been as nice about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Single mom of two teen girls. I'm in college, almost done (thank goodness). Lol Can't wait to get a job!!!! I use an EBT card and I am very grateful to have the help. And...sometimes shit does happen, like the EBT system being down and I was checking out with a cart full of groceries. I was grateful that I had food at home so it wasn't a big deal that we couldn't purchase those items at the moment, I would be able to come back the next day and get what I wanted. These days, people seem to be more and more judgey, rude, and impatient towards others. You never know what someone else is going through in their life. So I thank you you for your patience, wonderful attitude, & for speaking your mind <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa Darling,
    This is a deja vu moment for me... except it came out of your mouth instead of mine... Blowing kisses... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you for this.

    Seriously.

    I have a life that's pretty luxurious to the one I grew up with.

    Oftentimes I'll feel grumbly about some small situation with my son, then look back at my mom's life (which was sadly better still than many's) and think how I need to stop whining. Even to myself. Most of the problems in my life right now are pretty freakin' insignificant, and life feels a lot better when I look at it through memory's lens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have five boy's. My husband is a cop and I have always had a full time job myself. We work hard and are good parents. We teach our kinds right & wrong. We coach little league. We yell the loudest in the football stands. We never miss a parent/teacher conference. I bake cupcakes for school bake sale. My husband volunteers to talk to kids for "career day". We've been boy scout leaders and class parents.

    Two months ago I lost that job and we had to get some "assistance".

    Thank you for this post.

    Something ALWAYS goes wrong when I'm trying to get stuff and get out of the store. It never fails.People look at me like I'm trash. Like I should be ashamed. They give me that look that says: "Why would you have five kids if you couldn't afford five kids"?

    If they only knew that MY husband would be the one to show up for their 911 call. He's the one that works 18 hour days to ensure THEIR safety. We are not getting assistance because we are lazy...we are getting it because we have to for our kids. Hopefully soon things will be on track soon and this "assistance" can be ended. Please be kind to those Mom's and Dad's that are trying to supplement meager incomes. Everyone needs a little help sometimes and we ALL need some understanding.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous
    Dear anonymous with 5 kids. You made me cry. In a good way! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?